Day Care ServiceThe aim of the Day Care Centre is to provide health and social services to older people and give respite to their care givers. The programmes attempt to maximise the existing self-care capacity of the older person while preventing further limitations, therefore maintaining family, social and peer group relationships outside the healthcare setting.
Transport is provided for clients. No medical service is provided.
Applications for the Day Care Service are completed by the Public Health Nurse, and must include a referral letter from the General Practitioner.
Primary Care & Diagnostic ServicePeamount Healthcare’s outpatient strategy is to focus on areas where they can be most effective in influencing the health care needs of as wide a population as possible.
- A walk in phlebotomy service is available to general practitioners Monday to Thursday mornings
- A walk in microbiology service is available Monday to Thursday mornings
- A walk in ECG recording service is available Monday to Thursday mornings
- Skin prick Allergen Testing is available on Friday mornings
The Department of Radiology provides diagnostic X-ray services to in-patients, out-patients and by appointment, referrals from General Practitioners. Radiology works in conjunction with Respiratory out-patient clinics. With the exception of referrals arising from trauma, the Department of Radiology can facilitate a broad spectrum of general diagnostic radiology services.
A smoking cessation service is available on Wednesday afternoon from 16.00 – 17.30.
Allied Health TherapyThe Service supports clients to reach their full potential and independence and increase their participation in community life. It is located in Peamount Healthcare’s Rehabilitation Centre.
This Service provides rehabilitation programmes for people following their discharge from Hospital inpatient services and the treatment/rehabilitation of patients with:
- Neurological Conditions including Stroke, Motor Neuron Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease and Traumatic Brain Injury.
- The Physiotherapy Department provides a service for acute and chronic Musculo-skeletal conditions, e.g. backs, hips and other joints, osteo-arthritis, sports injuries, trips and falls related injuries and rehabilitation following replacement of hip and knee joints.
- The ‘Living with Aphasia Groups’ provide ongoing group support for people with communication difficulties following a stroke. These groups improve participation in community life and psychosocial functioning by providing opportunities for group members to communicate with different people in a more natural environment.
- The Audiology Service offers outpatient audiology appointments for hearing evaluation.
Allied Health Therapy Services offers client/carer education and support; communication and cognitive rehabilitation; upper limb therapy programmes; self- care, domestic and community living skills training programmes.
Accessing the Service
Access to this Service is by Consultant or a GP referral. An appointment is also required.
Education Centrehe Education Centre was opened in 2001 following extensive renovation. The Quality and Education Facilitator assesses and co-ordinates training in the centre. The centre is adjacent to the main Peamount campus. It accommodates clinical teaching /training sessions and meetings. The standard of all educational sessions are in accordance with the rules of An Bord Altranais.
The objectives of the centre are:
- To facilitate learning by providing an appropriate environment for the development, education and training of staff
- To empower users to develop and maximize their potential, both professionally and personally
- To facilitate seminars, courses, study days and training in a suitable environment
This facility is open to all members of the multidisciplinary team in Peamount Healthcare and beyond. Many external agencies avail of the centre for education programmes and meetings. Educational and training activities are designed to promote personal and professional development and excellence in the delivery of care.